I created this recipe for my father because he likes to eat chocolate chip cookies but has diabetes. I didn’t like the ingredient list of the ones he was buying from the store. If he’s going to eat cookies, he might as well eat ones that are slightly better for him, so my cookies have…
- At least 30% less sugar than the store bought ones
- Good quality bitter-sweet chocolate
- Oats – so there’s some soluble fibre
- Nuts – so there’s some insoluble fibre
- A touch of cinnamon, because it seems to help regulate blood glucose levels
I’ve emphasised to my dad that these aren’t healthy, just healthier, so he’ll still need to eat them in moderation. 3 cookies at max in a sitting!
Crispy chocolate chip cookies with oats
- 90 g All purpose flour
- 90 g Almond meal
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 3/8 tsp Salt
- 110 g Unsalted butter softened
- 120 g Caster sugar
- 50 g Brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Rolled oats coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup 70% chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Roasted nuts
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- In a small bowl, sift the flour and baking soda together. Whisk in the salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both types of sugars until light and creamy, about 3 min.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low until evenly combined.
- Add the oats, chocolate chips and nuts and hand mix them into the batter until just combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray and use a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out portions of cookie dough. Round the dough as much as you can before placing them on the baking tray. Make sure they are well spaced so that the cookies can spread in the oven.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, until the edges are a light golden brown.
- After removing the trays from the oven, wait a couple of minutes before moving the cookies to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. They'd probably last up to 2 weeks in the container. If you'd like them to last even longer, store them in the fridge.
Too lazy to make these yourself? You can just order them from me below.
Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oats (Less Sweet)
60 deliciously crispy less-sweet chocolate chip oat cookies with crunchy chunks of almonds.
Ingredients: Flour, butter, oats, caster sugar, brown sugar, almonds, chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids), vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.